Hughes Blog
Thoughts on Software Development, Project Management, Parenting, and Running.
Saturday, January 22, 2005
Wrestling with the Blog
Things continue to be crazy at work which has impacted blogging this week. I noticed earlier this week the link on my title bar had stopped working. So this morning I tried to debug that, and finally found a solution. The template had some ItemPage tags surrounding the BlogURL tag. I have no idea what those ItemPage tags are for, but when I removed them (two pairs) everything started to work as I expected it to.

Rod asked me if the Blog had a site feed and what it is. I think this was his way of telling me to put an explicit feed link to the site. Actually I think he also suggested it. I suppose this is a good idea, but since I have gotten used to Firefox it had not occured to me that this was a problem since Firefox detects site feeds automagically! Anyway I have taken Rod's suggestion and added an explicit link the Atom feed. By the way what is the difference between Atom and RSS?


Comments:
For you Yahooligans out there I also added the 'add to My Yahoo' button for your convenience.
 
Atom vs. RSS is just a format difference. I think they're both subsets of XML. Most good aggregators (and, in particular, Bloglines) read them both anyways; I think you'd need to be a power user to have a preference. (They have different features at the high end.)

Bloglines will automatically "find" the feed for Blogger users, which is why I never needed to ask for a link to your feed (or JoeB's, Julia's, etc. etc.)
 
Thanks PJ - I did not think there was much difference. I have been using the aggregator built in to Firefox, The Yahoo aggregator, and also feedreader. I have never had a problem with one format vs another.
 
I had not been using bloglines, but checked that out today. Pretty cool! So I have also added a Bloglines syndication button to the collection!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

All views expressed in this post and on this blog are my own. None of my comments should be construed to represent the views of others including and not limited to: BMC Software Inc., Corel Corporation, Dun and Bradstreet and AC Nielsen. Copyright Chris Hughes 2004-2012