Hughes Blog
Thoughts on Software Development, Project Management, Parenting, and Running.
Saturday, February 05, 2005
Do you think I might be a bit TOO competitive??
This past weekend I snapped on my skis for the first time in two years. The company was sponsoring a race at Heavenly. The top 8 spots would represent the company at the celebrity winterfest race in support of the special Olympics of Northern California. In spite of being a bit rusty, I thought there was a reasonable chance that I could make the team. So I signed up!

I arrived at the ski hill in time to get the first tram ride up the mountain. Heavenly is absolutely gorgeous. I hooked up with a guy named John who had a season pass. We did a couple of groomers, but I was bored. I headed to the double blacks.

My first run in Motts was down a gully called “Bill’s”. It was really quite nice. I did a couple of more runs in Motts. I got some freshies in the woods to boot. I discovered that the best snow was all the way at the end of the ridge on the west side of Motts. My last run over there, I fell twice, for the first time. That was the sign I needed to get some lunch.

It was a long flat run back to the California base. I found my teammates and grabbed some lunch. After lunch we headed to the race hill.

It has been at least 20 years since I ran a gate. I took a couple of practice runs, and it felt pretty good. The course was a GS setup. It was a bit icy and there were a couple of big ruts in the middle of the course from whatever racing they were doing in the morning. I ran 27.27 for my first run which was 3 seconds off the pace of the leaders. That time put me right in the middle of the pack as the slowest skiers were running high 30’s. On my second run I tried to keep the skis running more than on the first run. It took a long time for them to announce my time. The called out, “racer 13 31:XX”. Thirty-one? Wow. I was depressed. But then I watched the other racers. The slowest racers and THE GIRLS came through in high 30’s. There was no way I did a 31. I could not stand the thought that those GIRLS beat my time. (This made me realize that no matter how I try to mask it, I really am a bit too competitive!) Anyway, there was only one thing left to do.

I snapped off my skis and stomped up the steps to the scoring table. “Can we help you?” I was trying to find a nice way to say that there was NO WAY IN HELL those girls beat me down the hill. I was having trouble with the words. “Spit it out – what’s up?” So I asked them to check my time for the second run. After a couple of minutes, they acknowledged their mistake. They said that the starter did not realize that number 13 (that’s me) had run a second run. Of course, that begs they question as to why they announced a TIME! They told me that I should go up there are do another run.

I stomped back down steps; snapped on my boards and jumped on the chair for run #2 revisited. I was really jacked up and again tried to keep my skis off edge for most of the run. I posted a 27:07 or so! That was good enough for seven. In fact I was seventh on both runs and seventh combined. I MADE THE A TEAM!

We will take the whole family up to Heavenly for spring break this year and I’ll get to do the race – but next time I’ll have a couple of days to practice! Look out!


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

All views expressed in this post and on this blog are my own. None of my comments should be construed to represent the views of others including and not limited to: BMC Software Inc., Corel Corporation, Dun and Bradstreet and AC Nielsen. Copyright Chris Hughes 2004-2012