Hughes Blog
Thoughts on Software Development, Project Management, Parenting, and Running.
Sunday, May 01, 2005
Five Laps
My last 2000 was a tune up just before the Rudolph Run. For that run on Dec 1, I posted a 7:00.5.

So my goal today was to run at 7:00 pace (84 per lap) and see how that felt. Looking back in my log book, Coach Vaughan has given me several of these early season 2000s and I always seem to go out too fast and then cave in the middle. As I headed to the track I decided that I was not to repeat that mistake again.

There was a terrible north wind at the track which I was going to have to deal with on the back stretch. After I completed my warm up, I was ready. I signaled to Coach Vaughan that I was ready, then I took off. I tried to run relaxed on the first lap, and once I was out of the wind, to run strong and relaxed. Coach Vaughan called the first split at 83.6. Perfect. For the second lap, I tried to pick up the effort a bit. Coach Vaughan called 2:47.1. It took me a second to remember that was still faster than target pace. Good. More effort for the third lap – the wind was hard and tiring. I came through 1200 in 4:11.8, which was still below target pace. I remember getting to the 1400 mark and thinking 600 to go. I came through the 1600 5:36.9. Yikes slightly over pace now. I knew I could break seven, one lap to go. The wind on the last lap seemed over powering. Or was I just that tired? At the 200, as I turned out of the wind, I poured it on. Down the home stretch, I really pushed hard, lengthening my stride and working on my turnover. When I hit the line I listened intently was it going to be 6:50 something or 7:00 something. All I heard was one word from Coach Vaughan – Sandbagger.

Oh crap. So I looked at my watch, and the split was 6:58.7.

After I caught my breath I climbed up the stands. Coach Vaughan proclaimed that I was the sandbagger for the day. I reviewed my 200 splits. I started out with 41’s and slipped to 42’s, the slowest one was 42.9. I had a 42.x on the penultimate 200, and then I finished with a 39.x – which is what earned that sandbagger award.

The splits on my watch were: 83.6, 83.5, 84.7, 85.1, 81.8. I have to agree that looks like I had a bit too much gas left in the tank. Still even with that, I was 2 seconds better than December – so that is nice too see.


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

All views expressed in this post and on this blog are my own. None of my comments should be construed to represent the views of others including and not limited to: BMC Software Inc., Corel Corporation, Dun and Bradstreet and AC Nielsen. Copyright Chris Hughes 2004-2012