Hughes Blog
Thoughts on Software Development, Project Management, Parenting, and Running.
Wednesday, June 01, 2005
The 800 Part 2
As previously noted the plan was to run 2:22. Last night my legs felt pretty dead during warm-ups and strides. I got in a heat where all the liars claimed to run faster than 2:20. So I was a bit concerned that I might finish Dead Ass Last. I choose lane five and when the gun went off, I just tried to maintain a quick turnover. At the 200 I was in second position and coming off the break I was sitting on number ones shoulder. I was moving just a tad faster than he, but not fast enough to gain clear advantage. I had to decide to run the turn on the outside of the lane, slow a bit and drop behind him or pass. I decided to pass and when I did it felt so good I decided, what the hell, and I dropped the hammer. I was all alone when I came through 400 in 68.05. That was a much faster than plan, so I tried to relax a bit. Coming off the third turn I could that the others were catching up. I could feel my shoulders tense up at 500 - not a good sign. I focused on turnover and was still in the lead at 600. With 80 to go the first guy moved by, I tried to pick it up but I had nothing. The next guy came. I think I was third, but it was pretty close. I finished in 2:22.04 with the last lap 73.99. Coach Vaughan said that I should be able to run 69, 71. Anyway you slice it, it was still an improvement from week one!

Update June 10: I finally checked the posted results and I was fifth master, which has been true for each race that I have run this spring!


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

All views expressed in this post and on this blog are my own. None of my comments should be construed to represent the views of others including and not limited to: BMC Software Inc., Corel Corporation, Dun and Bradstreet and AC Nielsen. Copyright Chris Hughes 2004-2012