Hughes Blog
Thoughts on Software Development, Project Management, Parenting, and Running.
Saturday, June 18, 2005
Home Improvement
Today I chopped down a very large Bradford Pear Tree. Last fall I pruned this tree back to make more room for the Bur Oak which was adjacent to the Pear tree. The tree did not come back strong this spring. Then it lost most of its leaves. It was doomed.

Fran was kinda pissed off about the whole thing. She sez its her tree since bought it for $10 bucks. I think I planted it. Anyway there are three huge oaks and two big pears and one smaller Pear in the back, so its not that big a loss. In fact I'm pleased, because the Bur Oak will take over the spot previously taken by the pear.

Cutting down the tree was a lot of work. I don't have a chain saw, so I started removing limbs with my hand saw. Fran suggested that I use my circular saw instead - and that worked pretty well. I hacked away at it for an hour or so which filled the back of the pickup, then it was off to the transfer station. I hacked away for another hour or so, when my neighbor asked if I wanted to use his chain saw. So I borrowed that one, hacked off another couple of limbs and took that load to the dump.

Once back from the second dump run and now armed with the chain saw, I felled the rest of the tree. This dude had about a 12 inch diameter. I cut up the remains and cleaned up.

Now the back yard looks bizarre without that tree there. But I think I'll get used to it. The Martins will enjoy the flight line I'm sure.


Comments:
I was checking out the Running Blog Family and I stumbled across your blog. I live in Richardson, too! Nice blog....good luck with your training......
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

All views expressed in this post and on this blog are my own. None of my comments should be construed to represent the views of others including and not limited to: BMC Software Inc., Corel Corporation, Dun and Bradstreet and AC Nielsen. Copyright Chris Hughes 2004-2012