The BDC was alive and should have taken over the DNS role from the PDC. Looking closer I realized that I had fatfingered the address of the ISP's DNS server. Problem solved.
However, the PDC would not boot at all. That was scary, because I have a bunch of stuff on the drives of that machine. The machine was powering up, but not even getting to the BIOS. This machine has dual P3 600 processors. So on a whim, I pulled one of the processors. Voila! The machine fired up! Then I swapped the processors and it still ran. But if I put them both in. Nothing.
After I zipped it all up and started it back up, I found that I could not hit the PDC on the network. Further investigation revealed that the NIC was bad. I have a boneyard in the attic. I pulled down a machine up there which had a half a gig of RAM and two NICS! I replaced the NIC and added all the RAM which puts the PDC now at almost a gig of RAM.
I guess that the machine took a spike which knocked out the NIC and whatever component manages the dual processors.
All views expressed in this post and on this blog are my own. None of my comments should be construed to represent the views of others including and not limited to: BMC Software Inc., Corel Corporation, Dun and Bradstreet and AC Nielsen. Copyright Chris Hughes 2004-2012