Hughes Blog
Thoughts on Software Development, Project Management, Parenting, and Running.
Friday, August 19, 2005
No one likes to get a shot
Particularly my friend P! Talk about Flashes of Panic! Anyway, the sad end to P's story is that he had to get injected just as I suspected would happen.

All of this reminded me of the rubella outbreak that occurred back in around 1982 or so when I was still a student at UVM. Basically everyone had to show up with their vaccination records to prove that you had been immunized or else you had to get the shot. So I showed up and handed over my records. The clerk was not pleased with the paperwork that I presented. She said nothing but instead disappeared and then returned with someone of authority. I was introduced at that time to head of the State of Vermont department of Public Health; the surgeon general of Vermont if you will.

It was then that Dr. Vermont explained to me the problem. You see my paperwork said that I received my injections in 1964. The problem was that the rubella vaccine was not made available to the public until 1965. I could see that I had put Dr. Vermont in a very strange position. She did not want to accuse me of fraud, but at the same time, she had an epidemic on her hands and she did not need this kind of headache. So she explained to me how there was a school of thought around how these vaccines loose their effectiveness after twenty years and so I should really consider just getting the shot once more.

I have to say that I really did not want to get the shot and like P, I thought dammit why should I? But, at the same time it was somewhat easier to just go with the flow. So I got the injection. Again.

Later that day I called my father to ask why the hell I had seemingly fraudulent documentation. He explained to me that I was part of a group of children that participated in early clinical trials. Well that's just great, I thought, my dad thought so highly of me at age 3, that I was used as an experiment on potentially lethal vaccines. Sheesh!

So you'd think that was the end of the story - but no. Last year I had to get a whole bunch of vaccines before going over to India. The nurse over at world travel that consulted with me on what I needed suggested that I get the rubella vaccine since it had been 20 years since my last one! I think that they have this thing scripted!


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

All views expressed in this post and on this blog are my own. None of my comments should be construed to represent the views of others including and not limited to: BMC Software Inc., Corel Corporation, Dun and Bradstreet and AC Nielsen. Copyright Chris Hughes 2004-2012