Hughes Blog
Thoughts on Software Development, Project Management, Parenting, and Running.
Tuesday, September 20, 2005
FileZilla
In the past I have used the ubiquitous Cute-FTP or WSFTP for Windows based FTP clients. However, for the last five years or so, I have been happily using either IE or Mozilla's built in FTP capabilities whenever the need has arisen to transfer files. If neither of these got the job done, I could usually rely on the old tried and true command line FTP client build into W2K and XP.

On my current project, I am dealing with a vendor that is using some sort of weird Novell based FTP Server which has some really bizarre navigation paths. IE fails. Firefox fails. And of course XP's command line FTP fails. Or more likely in the last case, I simply can't figure out what incantations are required to make it work. Frankly once I learned it was a Novell Server, I just resigned myself to the fact that Novell intentionally prevents connections to any normal Windows client.

Anyway, this sad state of affairs led me to the FileZilla FTP project on sourceforge. I am very impressed with this project. I have been hammering on it for a couple of weeks now and I can't find any weaknesses. The client works wonderfully in many surprising ways. Drag and drop works from other open Windows to the remote site and vice versa. One can pause and resume transfers. Etc., Etc. I give it four stars! Joe Bob Sez Check it out!!


Comments:
Excellent - glad to hear the review - I'm going to go download it now...
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

All views expressed in this post and on this blog are my own. None of my comments should be construed to represent the views of others including and not limited to: BMC Software Inc., Corel Corporation, Dun and Bradstreet and AC Nielsen. Copyright Chris Hughes 2004-2012