Hughes Blog
Thoughts on Software Development, Project Management, Parenting, and Running.
Thursday, November 24, 2005
Big-Daddy is Down
The Hughes household computing infrastructure consists of two servers and a buncha laptops. The two servers perform duties as file servers, DHCP, DNS and DC. Big-Daddy is the PDC. He stopped working a couple of weeks ago.

I built Big-Daddy many years ago. It has a dual processor Soyo motherboard, the SY-D6BA to be exact. It started life with a single P2-333 processor. Later I replaced that processor with a a P3-600 and then I added a second P3-600. Last summer Big-Daddy refused to boot and I discovered that it would run with a single proc, but not a dual. That was probably the begining of the end. I pulled the second proc and it ran fine until a couple of weeks ago.

Now one of the other cool things about the Soyo SY-D6BA is that it featured on board wide scsi and it had a slot for the adaptec caching raid controler. When I built Big-Daddy originally I had a pair of 4 gig drives with the raid appliance. Later, I pulled the Raid Controller and added a 17 gig baracuda and a second adaptec controler.

Yesterday I went to troubleshoot the problem with Big-Daddy. On start up it beeps. I checked RAM, Power Supply, processors, everything. My conclusion is that the faithful D6YBA motherboard is dead. So I went to the boneyard to see what I had laying around which I could cobble together to get Big-Daddy working. I found an old I-WILL BD-100 motherboard with a P3-450.

So I stuffed the I-Will MB in Big-Daddy's case and wired it all up. The IWill MB does not have a SCSI controler, so I had to put all the drives on a single channel. Now when it boots, it gets throught the first Windows sceeen, the one where you can press F-8; then it gets to the W2K splash screen; then it beeps and does a hard reset back to the Bios.

I suspect that windows is major league unhappy about the fact that the drives are all out of whack. The boot drive is the 17 gig baracuda, but the swap drive is one of the old 4 gig drives, which had been on a different channel. I suspect that windows is trying to find that drive and just barfing. Not to mention the change in the underlying HW configuration.

What I am not sure about is how I can patch it up. It looks like I might have to do a repair. Now where is that W2K boot disk anyway?


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

All views expressed in this post and on this blog are my own. None of my comments should be construed to represent the views of others including and not limited to: BMC Software Inc., Corel Corporation, Dun and Bradstreet and AC Nielsen. Copyright Chris Hughes 2004-2012