Hughes Blog
Thoughts on Software Development, Project Management, Parenting, and Running.
Thursday, December 29, 2005
Should the Olympics be about Competition?
Every year for the last upteen years BMC(Remedy) has been involved with a charity ski race to support the Special Olympics of Northern California. Last year I skied my way on to the top team which helped them improve from Second to First! Throughout my involvement, I got the feeling that they did not like having one of "The Texans" on the team. So it was not a surprise that they did not invite me back this year.

Today I sent the organizer this email message:

-----Original Message-----
From: Hughes, Chris
Sent: Thursday, December 29, 2005 7:11 AM
To: Marketing Organizer of the Event
Subject: FW: Winterfest ski-off details

Hi MarketingGuy -

My contacts on 'the team' have alerted me to the upcoming ski-off details. It appears that the invite only went to the N.Cal employees. Was that as a matter of convenience or policy? If I were interested in participating this year would I be able to receive an invitation?

Thanks,

Chris in Sunny Dallas.

And this is the response I received:

----Original Message-----
From:
Marketing Organizer of the Event
Sent: Thu 12/29/2005 5:03 PM
To: Hughes, Chris
Cc:
Subject: RE: Winterfest ski-off details

Hi Chris:

The NoCal-only invitation was both policy and convenience. We only have funds for one team this year, so it was considered more appropriate to keep the invitation to those employees in the area covered by this Special Olympics chapter. We had 16 people express interest in the 8 team places, so at the moment it looks like we'll be able to fill the team from the local pool of employees.

I hope you don't feel too put out by this decision. If we have a rash of drop-outs, I will make you first on my list to call.

Regards
MarketingGuy in an overcast Bay Area.

Frankly I think the response sucks. Last year there were two of us from Texas - one on each team. We were targeted by the locals. It was an easy way to knock two people out of the running. But the thing is, it's a RACE. May the best man win. Right?? And isn't that what the special olympics is really all about??


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

All views expressed in this post and on this blog are my own. None of my comments should be construed to represent the views of others including and not limited to: BMC Software Inc., Corel Corporation, Dun and Bradstreet and AC Nielsen. Copyright Chris Hughes 2004-2012