Hughes Blog
Thoughts on Software Development, Project Management, Parenting, and Running.
Sunday, February 26, 2006
... as in miles. On the bike.

Yesterday, Saturday Morning, I was in Mumbai. As in India. With a bad case of Montezumas revenge. 1:40am I climbed on a Swissair A330 bound for Zurich. That was 9 hours unable to eat anything at all. Then 4 hours in Zurich, but feeling much better. In fact, there is a Burger King in the airport. BEEF!!! YES!!! Can you say Whopper with Cheese? Then I climbed onto an American Airlines 767 bound for Dallas. That was 11 more hours in the air. Total 24 hours if you are counting. Of course with the time zone changes it meant that it was only 3:30pm in Dallas. Still Saturday. Kind of makes for a long day. Oh yeah, 20 hours in coach. As in crammed into the worlds hardest and smallest seat. Thank god I'm home.

Right. So with that in mind, Terry calls me up this morning suggesting that we ride out to Farmersville then to McKinney and then home. Since I was numb anyway, and I could not think of any other activity dumber than that, I told him sure - meet me at noon.

For Valentines day my bride got me a 2.0 Liter Camelback Rogue. (Sheesh just went to My god they have a lot of products!) Anyway I have NEVER used one of these camelback units before. It is not something that I would have likely bought for myself. And of course, it goes without saying that one should not try on new equipment before a long ride. But what the heck, since I was already throwing caution to the wind - might as well go out in style. So I loaded the camelback with 2 liters of gatoraide. And I stuck two pints of water on the bike for good measure. At least I was not in danger of dehydration!

On my last ride out to Lucas my little bike computer rattled loose from the handlebars. So before Terry turned up I got it all screwed down and used some loctite on those suckers for good measure. The pickup is rather finicky and I was still having some problems with it by the time Terry turned up.

I finally got the computer working reliably about 8 miles into the ride. Unlike the Lucas ride, I got the stupid thing to report in American units! Final stats: Max speed: 34.3 MPH, Average speed: 17.2 MPH; 52.2 Miles (plus the 8 before I got the dumb thing working). 3hours and 2 minutes. The Polar also had 3:02 which is kind of remarkable considering I started the polar when I left the house (not 8 miles later) and I turned it off a couple of times along the way. Average HR was 152, Max 172.

We took Highway 78 out to Farmersville which was great. It has a nice wide shoulder. About halfway to Farmersville we hit a nice hill and I dropped into high gear and hammered it up 27 MPH. Then I just kept up my cadence and hammered along. A while later I looked back and Terry was no where to be found. Hmmm. Well I figured I'd wait for him at the 380 junction. I was trying to keep my speed around 18 to 19 MPH. It seemed like forever before we got to 380. Sheesh! Terry was only a couple minutes back.

I got behind Terry as we waited to cross 380. Terry said, "I'm going". Great I started to go and was looking down at my pedals. When I looked up Terry WAS NOT going. Acckkk. Over I went. I was OK. I picked up the bike. Terry asked are you ready. Yeah, I'm ready. Terry was about to go, when I noticed that the chain was off. Eh, Terry, not ready! There is nothing worse than a couple of washed up runners trying to pretend to be bikers.

Finally we made it across 380 and headed toward McKinney. I told Terry I got it up to 27 on one of the hills on 78. We were coming up to a nice downhill to Lake Lavon. Terry said, you can get it up to 30 right here. So I dropped into high gear again and sure enough. 30, 31, 32, 33, 34.3! And I think I still had one more gear to go.

We stopped in Princeton, where I slugged down a Red Bull (to go with the one I had before I left the house.) Terry had a Pepsi and courtesy of Marissa, we both enjoyed a Chocolate Hershey Energy Bar. Then it was on to McKinney which was nice. Then we headed south into the wind for the remaining third of the ride. That was brutal.

Finally back in Richardson, Terry peeled off with 60 miles on his computer. That was 56 for me. I peddled the long way home making sure to pick up four miles for sixty total - which is 23 more miles than I have ever rode before. Ever. A personal record.

Amazingly with all that I have been through in the last two days, I feel pretty damn good too! And the Camelback worked well too!

Here is the GMAP which has it at 57.7.

And here is my HR profile courtesy of Polar, the greatest manufacturer of sporting equipment known to man kind.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

All views expressed in this post and on this blog are my own. None of my comments should be construed to represent the views of others including and not limited to: BMC Software Inc., Corel Corporation, Dun and Bradstreet and AC Nielsen. Copyright Chris Hughes 2004-2012