Hughes Blog
Thoughts on Software Development, Project Management, Parenting, and Running.
Thursday, October 25, 2007
Carrollton Run Club
Julia was talking about how to build a long run from a race. And that reminded me of The Carrollton Running Club 5K.

Back in the day, when I lived in Carrollton, I would run from my house to the race, then I would race the race, and then run home (usually with a trophy).

Marissa was born in early June, and four weeks later, I went out to do my run. I had been doing really well running that summer. I was racing lots of 5K's and improving my times. My time at the two mile split was 25 seconds faster than I had ever run this course before. I was running really strong! Just after mile two, a Carrollton Police Cruiser began pacing me down Frankfort Road. I was in second place and closing on the high school kid in front of me. The cops window was down. I glanced in his direction and nearly stopped in my tracks when he said, "Are you Chris Hughes?" Uh yeah. WTF? I was being pulled over?

The cruiser pulled in the next cul-de-sac. I went to see what he wanted. After what seemed like forever, he told me that they had taken Fran to the hospital! The cop was not very happy when I instructed him to take me the hospital. That was not a surprising reaction given that I had no shirt and was dripping wet. Finally he let me crawl into the back of the squad car. I made him role down my window, so that as I drove by Mike I could let him know I was going to the hospital. The look on Mike's face was priceless!

Fran had hemorrhaged as a result of Marissa's birth. Just after I had run out the door she had started bleeding and called 911 and her Mom. The ambulance had hauled her to the hospital and Mom had come to get Marissa. After a couple of hours in the ER they got her bleeding under control and sent her home.

The next month, when I registered for the race, they were like - oh you're the guy that the cops pulled from the course last month. Eh - Yeah. And then they comp'ed my entry! Sweet! Sadly I never ran that fast on that race course again!


---

Labels:



Comments:
WOW! What a story! Glad she was fine.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

All views expressed in this post and on this blog are my own. None of my comments should be construed to represent the views of others including and not limited to: BMC Software Inc., Corel Corporation, Dun and Bradstreet and AC Nielsen. Copyright Chris Hughes 2004-2012