Hughes Blog
Thoughts on Software Development, Project Management, Parenting, and Running.
Sunday, December 30, 2007
New Years Beer
Following on last weeks Christmas Batch, I fired up the brew kettle again today. I did a better job on the grain mashing, and I plan to construct a lauter tun as I threatened. Also I dug out some rebar from the garage, and I used this to raise the brew pot off the burner a half an inch or so. That helped with the boil quite a bit - basically, increased the temp and also quickness to the boil.

Samples of the Dec 2 Batch were pretty good for just a week in the bottle. I have not yet tried the Dec 9 batch. Maybe tonight?

For today we did:

7.5 lbs Pale Malt Extract
2 lbs. Ground Weyermann's Carafoam Crystal Malt
5.5 - 6.0 Gallons of Water
1.5 ounces of Challenger Hops (10.1%) Boiling
0.5 ounce of Fuggles Plugs Hops (4.0%) Finishing
Wyeast 1007 German Ale Yeast

Specific Gravity: 1.053

Note Jan 5: Racked Wort, Added a fuggles plug. Specific Gravity > 1.022

---

Labels: , , ,



Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

All views expressed in this post and on this blog are my own. None of my comments should be construed to represent the views of others including and not limited to: BMC Software Inc., Corel Corporation, Dun and Bradstreet and AC Nielsen. Copyright Chris Hughes 2004-2012