Hughes Blog
Thoughts on Software Development, Project Management, Parenting, and Running.
Tuesday, August 11, 2009
Yahoo - What a bunch of Knuckleheads
Yahoo is shutting down Geocities. This is what they had to say about that:

Beginning on October 26, 2009, you will no longer be able to use GeoCities to maintain a free presence online


Well that is just great.

Geocities pretty much sucked anyway. You could not do much with the free site as there were lots of limitations on bandwidth and so forth. Still, when I started this blog, I put enough content out there on geocities that it would have been a pain to move. I had abandoned Geocities in favor of several other choices long ago. But that original Geocities content was still out there and still being used on this blog to drive among other things several images in the base template.

Well now that they are closing the site, I was put on notice that I must move the content.

Which I did. Mostly to Flikr, which is another Yahoo site. Which also raises the question as to why they did not make it easier to move this crap to Flikr. And it also raises the question as to whether I will have to go through this headache again if Yahoo decides to abandon Flikr down the road.

To add insult to injury, when I tried to delete my site, they ask me:
We're sorry you have chosen to cancel your membership and delete your home page. At Yahoo! GeoCities, all our members are important to us, and we're constantly trying to enhance our services and strengthen our community. If you have any thoughts on how we can improve membership at Yahoo! GeoCities, we'd love to hear them!
HOW ABOUT DONT KILL GEOCITIES COMMUNITY?? And if you are going to kill the community, then DONT ASK ME HOW TO IMPROVE THE COMMUNITY!!

What a bunch of idiots.

---

Labels: , ,



Comments:
Stupid people abound.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

All views expressed in this post and on this blog are my own. None of my comments should be construed to represent the views of others including and not limited to: BMC Software Inc., Corel Corporation, Dun and Bradstreet and AC Nielsen. Copyright Chris Hughes 2004-2012