Hughes Blog
Thoughts on Software Development, Project Management, Parenting, and Running.
Sunday, December 25, 2011
Jogr Egg Nogr


The Jogr Egg Nogr is traditionally one of the last races that I do each year. In 2010, I won overall masters and broke 18, which was a huge accomplishment. This year I was not as fired up coming into the race. I had a crappy track workout on Wednesday which I aborted due to lightning. And earlier in the week I had been notified that Brooks was dropping me from the ID program next year.

It was a beautiful morning to race, sunny and in the mid thirties when I got down to Norbuck Park. I had a nice warmup at Norbuck. I realized that I had not run there in a long, long time which was also kind of sad. From there I jogged up the hill to the start on Fisher.

Just before the gun went off I saw TZ a few rows back. The two high school kids that I ran against in the Penguin Run lined up right in front of me. As is the norm with this race, its hard fast downhill start. I was immediately in front of the one of the HS twins meaning I was running harder than Arlington but not too fast as the other twin was in front of me. As we got on the mockingbird bridge I notice a guy with lots of really long grey hair running out in front of me. And this guy was hammering. He was in front of the other twin!

At the turn I was really surprised with the number of people in front of me. LOTS more than last year. I was running with a group of HS runners and here I started picking them off one by one. Some of them would come back but I was still nailing them. Once we got back up on the bridge, the grey haired guy jumped in to the road, and I did the same. He had 200 meters on me at most, but I was not making much up on him. I still had the one HS twin in front of me and the other in back. Once I got down on East Lawther, I gave it everything I had. Robert Vaughan was not in his usual spot which was a big disappointment.


East Lawther

I kept pushing as we came back into Norbuck and came through in just over 18. Dang!

Just after me, KeithD AKA RED SOX GUY came through. I had not seen him at the start or during the race!

Well the grey haired guy turned out to be Chris Phelan - who is 55 years old. And that was the first time in over two years that I have been beat by someone older than me.

This year I was fourth master, but I did manage to win my age group.

Labels: , , , ,



Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

All views expressed in this post and on this blog are my own. None of my comments should be construed to represent the views of others including and not limited to: BMC Software Inc., Corel Corporation, Dun and Bradstreet and AC Nielsen. Copyright Chris Hughes 2004-2012